top of page

Obtaining a Marriage License

COVID-19 Update: Before you go, know that some courthouses are requiring appointments to get a marriage license.  Maricopa County is offering the ability to apply for a marriage license by mail - Click here for more information.

 What do I need to get a marriage license?

   You need to provide identification and possibly proof of age. 

Arizona does not require a blood test or a copy of your dissolution of marriage decree.

  Do I need to get a marriage license in the county where I am getting married?

   No, an Arizona marriage license can apply to a wedding ceremony

that takes place anywhere inside or outside of Arizona.

  How does a marriage license work?

    A marriage license expires 12 months after it is issued by the state.  To make a marriage license valid it must have signatures from the individuals looking to get married, two witnesses, and the person who performed the ceremony. 

The bottom portion of the license is then mailed to the Clerk of the Superior Court

by the person who performed the ceremony.


Marriage License applicants must complete an application at one of our kiosks in the lobby of our Civil Unit on the first floor of the Superior Court building, 110 W. Congress, at the corner of Church and Congress in downtown Tucson. We are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

(Both applicants must appear in person and will be required to take an oath as to the information on their application.)

The fee is listed online on this website under Filing Fees and is payable by cash, money order, or credit card.   Current Marriage License Fee:  $83

                                                                                                                                                                                                          Certified Copy of License Fee:  $30

Certified copy of license may be prepaid at the time you obtain the Marriage License or ordered any time after the license is registered after the ceremony

usually 3 - 5 days.

The legal age of consent is 18. If you appear to be under 21, clerks may request proof of age, so please bring a Birth Certificate, Baptismal Certificate,

Passport, or Military I.D.

If an applicant is 16 or 17 years old, the prospective spouse may not be more than 3 years older than you, and one of the following is required:

- Consent of your custodial parent or guardian is required. You will need to present a subscribed, sworn and notarized statement containing the names of both marriage license applicants, granting you permission to wed; or - An emancipation order pursuant to Title 12, Chapter 15, or from a court in another state.


Marriage by minors under the age of 16 is prohibited by Arizona Law.


No blood test or waiting period is required by the State of Arizona for a marriage license application. The license is valid for 12 months from the date it is issued. After 12 months, it expires. Your license issued by our office can be used anywhere in Arizona during those 12 months.

If one of the parties is incarcerated, call 520-724-3210 to request a paper application by mail. If that line is busy, leave a message and include your name, full address, and a phone number where you can be reached if we have questions. The incarcerated applicant must have his/her signature notarized on the application. The second applicant should then bring the notarized application with them to our office, fill out the information for both applicants on a kiosk, and show the clerk the notarized document when called to a window.

Congratulations and best wishes on your upcoming marriage.




                                    NAVAJO COUNTY    PINAL COUNTY     YAVAPAI COUNTY     YUMA COUNTY      

*** Marriage License: It is the responsibility of the couple to obtain their marriage license prior to their ceremony at a Clerk of the Court’s office in a County in the State of Arizona. The couple must present their marriage license to the Officiate/Minister prior to the start of the ceremony. The Officiate/Minister is responsible for the marriage license following the ceremony and filing it with the Court (via mail) the next business day following the date of wedding.
bottom of page